Friday 15 July 2011

CHAPTER TWO; THE MAN

Kenny Rogers got it right; life presents you with situations that you must savor so that history may not judge you harshly. TO BE THE MAN YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE MAN.
`My first and subsequent fights were really nothing to write home about. I lost. Badly and shamefully. See at a certain time in my infancy I weighed in a little more than my age would permit. I believed that I was exceeding in potency, doughty in heart and superior in warfare. The proverbial devil in me deemed it fit to exert my authority amongst my peers. I hinted at my wing man (may he rot in hell) that I would soon call out the raunda’s(or hood) stud for an old fashioned brawl. I needed to watch a few 5-bob-deejayed in kikuyu dialect action flicks to brush up on my skills for the bout.
Discretion was clearly an alien concept to my buddy. The next day I was perched up on the third floor of an incomplete flat we occupied. I could not help but notice an army of kids approaching the gate and the boxing guru being given a little pep talk by his “coach” Yea we had coaches however absurd it may sound. See coming from the hood with no toys and no playstations, we were pretty much the masters of our own imagination.
I damn near piss my pants.”JUMP” said my silly side. Before I could collect my thoughts he was collecting me from the ground. Kicks here blows there rained in on me. It was what we branded a flawless beat down. I did not throw even a speculative fist. Then came my clanger moment when I started apologizing. I’ve had to pause typing for this to sink in. For those who had the privilege or lack of it of being raised by the streets know. It is a general principle. You don’t express regret in battle. I came to learn later when my “friends” chanted “nisamehe” every time I walked by.
This was a bad day in the office as I look back to the events as they unfolded and think to myself, “I COULD TAKE THAT GUY” or so I still think.
In life challenges are only worth the tag if you confront them with boulders between your legs so as to reflect on your experiences and say hey I came this far and next time this is the point I change tact.

No comments:

Post a Comment